Tuesday, September 2, 2008

NIKE Human Race - 31.08.2008

Months ago, I saw a friend's profile on facebook, jio-ing people to go run the NIKE human race with him. Dunno what got into me, but I went to check out what the human race was, and was kind of attracted to it.

Probably because it was some run for charity, and I thought since it was a for a good cause, why not. Maybe it was also because i'm still below 25 on 31.08.08, and paying just 25+ instead of 49+ for the run, was another pulling factor. Last but not least, i thought it could act as a motivation for me to start some running, to condition myself for the run, and also for my IPPT when the window reopens for me.

Once i set my mind into joining the run, I went around asking people to join me. I cannot possibly run myself right? Like a bit cannot-make-it. Luckily, I have a few kind-hearted friends, who wanted to do their bit to charity too - Yk, Ralf and Ben. I did not know until much later that 2 of my female colleagues were joining the run too. Cool!



For the past few months, I have been training for the run, together with Ralf along the Bishan-Braddel canal and Bishan Park. I was glad that I signed up the run, as it really motivated me to go jogging probably twice a week after dragging myself back from office. So for people who want to keep fit, I suggest that they go sign up for some run, and use it as some form of motivation to go exercise. Besides being able to keep fit, completing the whole event also gives you some sense of achievement.

On the 31.08.08 day itself, it was a real squeeze at the start. Heard that some 10,000 people joined the race in Singapore, and I thought it was overcrowded. Actually, this race is held over 25 cities on the very same day. But I did not really expect so many people to be so enthusiastic about running. A point aside, when I wanted to sign up for StanChart 10km, some 30,000 people had already signed up. Faint.

Back to the run. I started running with YK only, as I had lost the other guys in the sea of red (official tee was red). The first 2km was a breeze for us, as most of the time, we were kind of walking. Now I know, to have a good run, must be kiasu a bit, come earlier to be near the starting point, so u can block others and not the other way round. Mua Ha Ha.

The whole 10km journey was quite scenic, getting views of the Singapore Flyer, Esplanade, Singapore River + lanterns along it, as well as the whole stretch of Boat Quay + Clarke Quay. Ya, because I am really getting old, my slow pace enabled me to enjoy the view en-route. Probably other runners dun think the same way as I do. And like what I mentioned earlier, completing the 10km without stopping, really damn shiok, especially for someone like me, who has poor stamina.

Perhaps, 10km is the maximum I can go. Any distance more than that, I think I'll need CPR at the end. Heh.


No comments: